Knowledge, Skills & Competences
Excellent knowledge of climate change, international and national mitigation strategies, the structure of development strategies in Uganda on a national and sectoral level, the integration of climate change mitigation in other domains, and the monitoring and evaluation of climate change mitigation.
Knowledge of standards and procedures at the GIZ and cooperation with scientific institutions will be considered an asset.
Good working knowledge of information technology and communication (phone, e-mail, internet, Skype, webinars) and of computer applications (i.e.: MS Office).
Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Availability for work trips inside the country and to other countries where the project is operating.
Very good command of the English language.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, engineering, mathematics, Environment Studies, Climate Change Studies or a related field with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency or Green House Gas mitigation.
Details of experience
• At least 5 years in a similar position in a project or a structure in the field of economics, energy or environmental policy, mitigation to climate change, or development planning.
• Experience in capacity development.
How to apply
Application deadline: 2021-05-28
• Coordinates the implementation of project activities in Uganda.
• Represents the project DAIPOL-CE in Uganda (on behalf of the Project Officer).
• Ensures a close collaborative relationship and good use of synergies with other German Cooperation projects and other institutions working in the field of scenario modeling, climate protection, renewable energy, and energy efficiency and financing e.g UNDP, GGGI, ICLEI, FAO, and UNEP DTU among others.
• Drafts inputs for progress reports to the donor on activities in Uganda.
• Ensures, in coordination with the Project Officer, the visibility of the project at the national, sub-regional, and international levels.
• Ensures the planning and budgeting, the monitoring of the implementation, and the financial follow-up of all interventions.
• Elaborates operation plans and harmonizes planning and budgeting.
• Consults regularly with the Project Officer on all activities and the implementation of the intervention strategy and proposes, if necessary, options for adapting the strategy.
Technical activities and implementation of the project;
• The Technical Advisor develops and implements a coherent strategy for project intervention in collaboration with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development in charge of the project but in close collaboration with the Climate Change Department in the Ministry of Water and Environment in the following areas;
Climate-Energy-Economy Scenario Modelling for Decision Making
• Assessing the Ugandan context and needs as a basis for macroeconomic scenario modeling in the context of the development of the Long-Term Strategy.
• Involving and selecting relevant stakeholders in collaboration with Ugandan partners.
• Supporting the development of responsibilities for model application and dissemination as well as a mode of cooperation between stakeholders and decision-makers at the national level.
Green Banking Capacity Development Initiative
• Support the implementing organization in the capacity assessment of private and public.
• Banking institutions in the field of financing renewable energy and energy efficiency projects
• Support selection of participants for the online training and training of trainers.
• Coordinate with a Ugandan training institution for the further implementation of the training with local trainers.
• Helps to identify the needs of government institutions and non-governmental partners.
• Ensures the preparation, planning, implementation, and documentation of training, workshops, forums, team meetings, and other activities of the project.
• Ensures internal and external networking between different stakeholders in the area of intervention and thinks and acts outside the boundaries of the immediate team.
• Represents the program in coordination- and exchange fora at both national and international levels.
• Represents the program in the absence of the Project officer.
Communication and networking
• Establishes and maintains relations with all important actors in the area of responsibility.
• Provides technical support to local and international experts acting in this domain.
• Supports knowledge management: gathers, processes and communicates relevant information to partners and colleagues in the other countries of intervention of the project, observes communication and interactions between governmental institutions, non-governmental institutions, and society through press analysis, direct dialogue, and participation in conferences, seminars, etc.
• Developing and disseminating public relations materials that increase the visibility of the project among relevant stakeholders such as project fact sheets and PowerPoint presentations.
• Organising and updating project documentation, the filing systems, and the virtual project library
• Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners; cooperates with relevant partner organizations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals in the project/program environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
• Communicates project interests and efforts; forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Capacity building and management of institutional support on mitigation issues.
• Implementing knowledge management and new attribution knowledge as well as the analysis, capitalization, dissemination, and scaling up of good practices.
• Implementing the monitoring and evaluation of actions, the monitoring of the use of these actions by the partner actors as well as the documentation of the effects.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management