Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for all enterprise server and storage equipment as well as end user computer systems.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ DELIVERABLES:
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the PBU host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair.
• On daily basis, ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host and server computer resources. Monitors availability and maintains records of system downtime.
• Ensures that equipment inventory are properly maintained. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
• Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems and provides server support related to other software
• Design and implement automated network and system monitoring platforms enhanced with SMS and E-mail event notifications.
• Implement cost effective enterprise system visualization platform.
• Establish guidelines/methods and hence document procedures for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, network operating systems, fiber channel switches, remote deployment of applications and other components.
• Develops procedures to maintain security and on daily basis, protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse
• Develop procedures, programs and documentation of backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications (email system, Domain).
• Design and implement host based intrusion detection system to enhance the security of all running servers.
• Design and implement enhanced logging platforms complete with graphing and trend analysis.
• Design and implement host based firewall platforms especially for UNIX and Linux Servers.
• Develop and coordinate project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on service availability. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
• On regular basis, manage the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
• On daily basis, monitor new patch releases, performs tests on test environment and ensure timely patch updates of the critical resources
• Participate in the training of the section staff in advanced system administration skills and on regular basis, develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations staff, EBOs and rest of staff to easy their work.
• Design and implement an effective asset management for tracking of the bank’s ICT assets as well as ensuring that for all IT Asset procurement, there is value for money and optimal utilization of these assets
• Performs troubleshooting as required or reported; as such, lead problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
• On daily basis, ensures that all tickets assigned are timely resolved.
• Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PBU to take advantage of new technology.
• Updates all available documentation to reflect new systems are implemented or any significant operational changes.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• Bachelors in IT, Computer Science or Business computing
• Certification in an IT related course like Linux Systems, Microsoft Windows Server Administration, VMware, and Storage systems are of added advantage.
• Practical training in IT related short courses
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• 2-3 years’ work experience in a fast paced business environment
• Ability to trouble shoot in technical areas.
Primarily the position requires a person with previous customer support experience,
• Proven analytical and problem solving skills (in a technical environment), Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
• Strong commitment to service, ability to work independently, and the ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Versatile individual with a good attitude.
• Desire to continuously learn from peers and industry
• Proactive and good at problem solving
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS SHOULD ACCOMPANY THE APPLICATION STRICTLY ONLINE:
• Detailed CV
• Certified copies of academic documents
• Applicants address and day time telephone contacts
• Postal/email address and daytime telephone contact of three referees of good standing in society one of which should be your current Supervisor.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Only online applications addressed to Chief HR & Admin Officer, PostBank Uganda. Send application to email@example.com with job title as subject, accompanied with copies of relevant academic documents. Note: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 9th November 2021