Grade : P2
Reports to : Principal Health Officer
Organ/Institution : East African Community Secretariat
Duty Station : Arusha, Tanzania
Main Purpose of the Job:
To coordinate the development and facilitate implementation of regional policies, strategies, guidelines, and standards to enhance affordability, quality, efficacy, and safety of human and veterinary medicines as well as food safety in the Partner States.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and facilitate implementation of strategic plans and budgets of the Medicines and Food Safety unit.
- Conduct implementation status audits of efficacy, safety, and quality standards of human and veterinary medicines and food in the Partner States and make recommendations for action.
- Provide technical support in the formulation and development of a legal and regulatory framework to ensure human and veterinary medicines and food safety in the East African Community region.
- Oversee the development of EAC Web-Based Shared Point for exchange of information on medicines and food safety regulation between the Partner States; including the common technical documents.
- Initiate, coordinate and facilitate implementation of advocacy and awareness programme on human and veterinary medicines and food safety.
- Conduct risk-based research on emerging issues on medicine at the global level, including pharmacovigilance to enhance knowledge and improvement on the use of human and veterinary medicines in the East African region.
- Coordinate and facilitate the activities of the EAC Regional Technical Working Group on Medicines and Food Safety.
- Provide periodic implementation status and performance reports of the Medicines and Food Safety Unit’s projects and programme activities.
Qualification and Experience:
A Masters Degree in Pharmacy or Public Health, with 8 years relevant work experience, 3 of which should be in policy and standards development, management of a regulatory organization.
Skills and Competencies:
Analytical skills, interpersonal, communication, report writing, leadership, teamwork, supervisory, and planning skills.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of the National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send it to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th June 2021.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications that do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
Due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.