Requisition ID: req20326
Job Title: Protection Officer
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Lead and conduct protection monitoring exercises, organizing FDGs, KIIs and providing data from mobile drop-ins for analysis.
- Ensure service mapping is up to date, referral pathways established, and follow-up of cases, concerns, and issues are conducted with the support of volunteers.
- Provide technical support to sub-granting partner in case management support for extremely vulnerable individuals (EVIs), ensuring tools provided are used and process and procedures complied with the support of Volunteers.
- Organize protection dialogues at the community level, working with volunteers to mobilize community leaders and other protection actors.
- Have in place a clear system for the collection and storing of data on all activities.
- Work closely with the Legal Officers, WPE Officers, ERD staff, and staff from other consortium partners to ensure linkages and referrals are done in a safe, effective and timely manner.
- Work closely with colleagues in ERD and WPE teams, other consortium members, OPM, and UNHCR to provide comprehensive support to the affected population.
- Provide weekly reports, data, and work plans covering the area of operation in a timely manner for review by the Senior Protection Officer.
- Map capacity and resources of refugee communities, supporting them in implementing youth-led initiatives among other community-based protection activities\projects.
- Liaise with partners to receive and follow up on messaging needs and ensure quality and relevance of messaging are developed and disseminated.
- Conduct meetings with volunteers and support lead training as identified and recommended.
- Undertake other duties as required by Senior Protection Officer in support of the overall running of the programme and specific aspects of implementation consistent with the role of Protection Officer.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in humanities or any other related field from a recognized Institution.
- At least two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization.
- Demonstrable knowledge of protection issues and knowledge of urban refugee context.
- Experience working with refugee communities particularly in an urban context
- Experience running information and advice sessions or mobile protection desks
- Experience working with vulnerable individuals
- Experience leading and facilitating community dialogues
- Strong supervisory, management, and organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Proficient computer knowledge and experience in Ms. Word, Ms. Excel, Ms. Applications, and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills with good command in both written and spoken English.