With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future, and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
To proactively lead and manage the Commercial Team by embedding a sales culture with a focus on
Acquisition, retention, and expansion, thus optimizing the economic value of clients. Manage quality service delivery to clients, risk and compliance and strategic objectives, driving efficiency and productivity, planning
and implementing change initiatives and performance plans.
• Ensure the Commercial Area is aligned to the overall Business Banking sales strategy by continuously reviewing, and modifying where necessary and ensuring consistent communication to Relationship Managers (direct reports) and staff. Constantly follow up in relation to the formulation, implementation, and management of 90-day plans designed to embed the strategy.
• Take full accountability of the Commercial Sales targets set for the financial year and the achievement of the targets by formulating action plans which provide clear direction to sales management and staff and ensuring achievement of plans
• Take full responsibility to ensure that all requirements with regard to compliance, regulatory or other risk standards are adhered to by all sales staff within the regions, by conducting regular operational meetings, clearly recording actions, and follow up on all outstanding issues
• Be responsible for the Commercial sales teams by having skilled and positive teams in place to drive the implementation of strategy and delivery on targets.
• Manage and monitor, through Sales Managers, that appropriate and client-centric solutions are developed by the professional teams.
• Monitor, through client feedback, the defection of clients and ensure that line management initiate and monitor appropriate client retention and retrieval strategies.
• Develop a business plan in partnership with all the Relationship managers with sector and product specialists that will bring about sustainable balance sheet growth.
• Implement and embed the tactical and strategic business change initiatives in the Commercial area.
• Drive and measure the financial and sales targets of the sales team by utilizing the relevant sales information.
• Ensure that the sales team operate and position Business Banking in a dynamic and highly competitive market place by interacting with the correct role players & driving key initiatives to secure the client retention and growth.
• Support Relationship Managers in ensuring that only quality and profitable business is generated, in line with credit and risk guidelines and the effective marketing of the Commercial sales team and marketing staff.
• Drive and maintain through the Relationship managers high levels of customer interaction with existing and potential customers and other role players
• Support and guide Relationship managers on the initiation of appropriate events which facilitate meaningful client interaction and networking which will lead to improved market penetration and maintenance of the Absa brand.
• Ensure, through Relationship management and staff, the retention of top clients through the provision of appropriate customer solutions within risk and pricing parameters, that satisfy both the customers and the Bank’s needs
• Create an environment that ensures effective collaboration between product partners and risk which produces customized client solutions
• Take responsibility for creating opportunities where senior Business Banking Executives are able to meet with top-end customers on a regular basis with the aim of creating and maintaining solid client relationships
• Oversee the development and implementation of a Commercial strategy that matches the cost to serve with current and potential client profitability.
• Oversee the development and implementation of a customer contact programme for the high-valued segments and engage weekly with the Relationship Managers to ensure they are achieving the targeted client face-to-face calls.
• Work with the relevant Business Banking and Retail (Channel) stakeholders to ensure appropriate profiling of clients within the Segment to ensure that the Customer Value Proposition (CVP) is relevant and will differentiate Absa proposition in the marketplace.
• Engaging regularly with clients in order to determine customer experience and whether key needs are being adequately met by the value proposition
• Utilise any customer feedback received during these visits to enhance and improve the Client Management Strategy and overall Customer Service within the Segment.
• Actively work to resolve all customer complaints received within the Service Level
• Agreement. Communicate these timeframes to the team members on a regular basis to ensure that there is a visible improvement in customer satisfaction across the Segment.
• Develop strong and collaborative relationships with Product and Sector Heads, and other peers in order to devise the best propositions for clients.
• Build pro-active relationships with the Segment’s Credit team ensuring alignment on credit risk appetite and competitive turnaround times.
• Share best practices and industry knowledge with Peers in order to maximize segment performance and support the implementation of the Business Banking strategic initiatives.
• Position and profile the Commercial business offering with the media, government, NGO’s, Corporate and other strategic stakeholders.
• Formulate and implement appropriate business plans that support the strategic agenda of the region and ensure that these are implemented and monitored
• Set key financial targets and ensure that these are monitored on a continuous basis (taking full accountability for all income and expenses) by the relevant Relationship managers
• Manage the pricing on customer portfolios to ensure that the Bank achieves an equitable
• risk-reward across the portfolio of customers
• Manage and support the regional sales team with acquisition, retention, and expansion of new and existing clients.
• Ensure region contributes to the overall performance of the business unit by meeting or exceeding budget on the income statement and balance sheet and implement strategic
• initiatives of a particular segment or value propositions
• Effectively manage the credit risk profile of clients and adherence to all policies and procedures.
• Ensure that all relevant governance, controls, and compliance requirements are fully met.
• Review audit scopes defined by managers in the team and Absa Internal Auditor
• Management Assurance prior to audits commencing
• Review audit issue/findings logs to ensure adequate attention are given to closure within the agreed timelines.
• Review and approve Risk and Control Assessments (RCAs) prepared in the function.
• Complete attestations to testify to the adequacy of controls on request.
• Drive a culture of proactive compliance in the function
• Together with the HRBP for Business Banking, determine the people management
• strategy for the Unit with a focus on talent management, development, resourcing, and retention. Communicate the strategy to managers in the area.
• Drive a culture of transformation and innovation within Commercial by encouraging knowledge sharing and new ways of doing things.
• Continuously mentor the management team of the area on proactive people management techniques.
• Embed formal Performance Development and informal coaching in the business unit.
• Coach the Commercial’s Management team on how to conduct meaningful Performance
• Development discussions with their direct reports and ensure that they conduct the process effectively.
• Review training needs analysis conducted by managers. Approve training budgets and review training expenditures to ensure that allocated funds were utilized.
• Establish and maintain a succession plan for the key roles in the area and review and approve succession plans for one level below.
• Review the outcome of the Talent Review process and approve nominations for the business unit. Review effectiveness of the formal Talent Management process
• With the support from the HRBP, interview and recruit direct reports and provide support during the recruitment of their teams on request.
• Review workforce and recruitment plans for the area and reallocate resources where required.
• Review requests from managers in the team for headcount changes. Approve or decline with reasons.
• Approve leave requests for direct reports and ensure that they manage the leave planning for their teams effectively.
• Review overall business unit performance and approve outcomes of consistency check meetings.
• Motivate managers in the business unit and ensure that they have measures in place to recognize the efforts of their staff members.
• Approve Employee Opinion Survey (EOS) action items developed by the management team and review action logs to determine the effectiveness of implementation.
Bachelor`s Degrees and Advanced Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)