Light for the World is an international disability and development organization whose vision is an inclusive society where no one is left behind. We enable crucial eye health services and help empower people with disabilities in some of the poorest regions of the world. Our programs include:
o Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
o Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
o Work – enhancing access for persons with disabilities to opportunities for employment and self-employment
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact. We create change through local people, organizations, and structures because we want our impact to last. We are in the process of expanding our team in Uganda and looking for a committed Capacity Development Officer based in Kampala (40 hours per week)
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Capacity Development officer will provide all-round support to the programs team in relation to the development of training materials and participatory design of training programs. Whereas most of the training sessions will be conducted by the team of Disability Inclusion Advisors and pool of Disability Inclusion Facilitators, the Capacity Development Officer will provide coaching and technical support. The training materials to be developed will all relate to disability and disability inclusion mainly in the field of advocacy, human rights, and economic empowerment of persons with disabilities. The Capacity Development Officer is an expert in adult learning and familiar with participatory training methodologies, organizational development, and behavioral change communication. He/ she has further experience with coaching, facilitation of learning, and human-centered design.
• Development of training materials/ focus on DPO development (advocacy, PWD rights)
• Support for DIFs on development of facilitation guides and materials
• Support for development of e-learning materials
• Contribute to the development of work plans and monitoring systems and tools,
• Provide training and mentoring to DPOs & DIFs, for specific areas/topics identified as needed for capacity development
• Provide support to design and implement disability inclusion initiatives
• Ensure that the training activities are undertaken according to the work plan;
• Conduct training needs assessment
• Provide Technical Assistance to DPOs
Required Skills and Qualifications
• University Degree or Higher in a field relating to humanitarian and development work, program management, or a relatable field
• At least 3 years of experience working in a Non-Governmental Organization, ideally focused on Capacity Development, implementation of projects through sub-grantees, developing capacity building plans.
• Familiar with Adult learning/ participatory training methodologies
• Demonstrated experience in developing the capacity of community-based organizations and networks
• Experienced trainer and facilitator with some experience in designing, and considerable skills in conducting, skills-building workshops and other capacity development approach with a variety of stakeholders.
• Knowledge of best practices in capacity development methods, including needs assessment and performance measurement.
• Excellent people skills with the ability to develop others and to impart knowledge and experience in an accessible and clear manner.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Commitment to local capacity building and past experience of engaging and working with local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
• Demonstrated expertise in the implementation of Livelihoods and Disability inclusion is desired.
• Good facilitation skills are required.
• Understanding of participatory methodologies for project design, implementation and evaluation.
• Show great initiative and be able to work well in a team and independently.
• Ability to work independently and produce timely and high-quality results
What we can offer as an employer:
We are offering an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organization with strong expertise, a growing profile, and a dedicated team.
Entry date: 1st of March 2021
We are looking forward to receiving your application on January 29, 2021, at the latest. Please apply using https://lftw.hrmagic.co/careers. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.