Light for the World is an international disability and development organization whose vision is an inclusive society where no one is left behind. We enable crucial eye health services and help empower people with disabilities in some of the poorest regions of the world. Our programmes include:
o Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
o Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
o Work – enhancing access for persons with disabilities to opportunities for employment and self employment
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact. We create change through local people, organizations and structures because we want our impact to last. We are in the process of expanding our team in Uganda and looking for a committed Entrepreneurship Officer, based in Kampala (40 hours per week).
Reporting to the Program Manager the Entrepreneurship Officer shall ensure the implementation of the Mainstreaming Ambition Project, implemented by Light for the World in partnership with the Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development, Federation of Uganda Employers, and Standard Chartered Bank. The project is funded under the Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CFYE) and implemented in 6 districts in Northern and Central Uganda. In collaboration with implementing partners, the Entrepreneurship Officer shall ensure coordination between stakeholders in each of the districts and oversee activities of Disability Inclusion Facilitators under the CFYE project. The Officer will provide technical support on Business Development and ensure that project implementation complies with the key areas of focus of the CFYE such as Decent work, Youth engagement and Gender & Social inclusion
• Plan and organize activities in line with the CFYE project´s work plan ensuring the timely accomplishment of work outputs.
• Analyze and synthesize information for implementation of project activities and coordinate tasks with implementing partners.
• Prepare inputs to project reports, presentations, briefs
• Monitor the progress and quality of implementation of CFYE project activities implemented by DIFs and ensure compliance with key areas of focus of the CFYE such as Decent work, Youth engagement and Gender & Social inclusion
• Facilitate the establishment of Inclusive Enterprise groups.
• Provide coaching and technical support to DIFs and Enterprise groups on entrepreneurship, business skills, income generation and livelihood activities, including saving and loans.
• Provide advisory and mentoring support to existing/established enterprises on business planning, budgeting and record keeping through the team of DIFs.
• Train Enterprise groups on governance and leadership, rapid appraisal of income generating activities and other capacity building trainings in order to enhance knowledge and skills to manage themselves independently.
• Track the progress of Enterprise groups and keep updated records.
• Consolidate and compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports, inclusive of success stories and lessons learnt
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, Economics or similar with strong experience on entrepreneurship and Youth economic empowerment.
• At least 3 years’ professional work experience in Livelihoods & Economic empowerment projects. Experience in business and enterprise promotion desired.
• Experience in Saving groups methodology, livelihoods, microfinance and IGA methodology.
• Experienced facilitator and trainer, with training material development skills.
• Experience working with non-governmental organizations, local communities, authorities
• Demonstrated understanding of project management best practices, including planning, budgeting, and stakeholder management.
• Ability to prioritize work, execute exceptionally well, and deliver high-quality results within very tight timelines.
• Self-starter, highly motivated, and proactive.
• Business planning/ entrepreneurship
• Affinity with the thems of Disability and Disability Inclusion
What we can offer as an employer:
We are offering an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile, and a dedicated team.
Entry date: 1st of March 2021
We are looking forward to receiving your application on January 29, 2021, at the latest. Please apply using https://lftw.hrmagic.co/careers. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.