Requisition ID: req20317
Job Title: Legal Officer
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Work with Community based-Volunteers, Community leaders, the Police, and other stakeholders in the legal sphere to identify issues impacting urban refugees needing legal interventions.
- Undertake regular monitoring and visits of detention and prison facilities.
- Provide legal counseling and case management support to refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
- Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key laws relating to the protection of refugees and other affected persons.
- Facilitate referrals for legal representation from pro bono agencies.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data\reports, including a narrative of high-risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Participate in legal training as directed by the Senior Legal Officer.
- Conduct legal information sessions on rights and obligations of refugees, key offenses and punishments in Uganda, International human rights laws relating to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Support training of state and non-state actors on national and international legal frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Undertake other administrative duties as directed by the Senior Protection Officer required for the functioning of programme and implementation that are consistent with the role of Legal Officer.
- A Bachelors Degree in Law from a recognized institution.
- At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international
- Strong understanding of human rights including gender equality.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of International Human Rights, Refugee Law, Ugandan national laws, and policies relating to refugees.
- Experience in report writing.
- Experience in forming community-based child protection structures
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively independently with team members and independently to achieve results.
- Proficient computer knowledge and experience in Ms. Word, Ms. Excel, Ms. Applications, and Outlook.
Position Reports to Senior Protection Officer
Position Indirectly Reports to Urban Programme Manager
Position directly supervises: Community based Volunteers