National Position – Based in Kampala, Uganda (40 hours a week)
Light for the World is a global development organization. We empower people with disabilities and enable eye health services in low-income countries. Over the last three decades we improved health systems, enabled education for all, and amplified the voices of people with disabilities
Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
- Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
- Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact.
In Uganda, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Eye health, Inclusive Economic Empowerment, Disability Inclusion and Inclusive Education.
Currently, Light for the World Uganda implements projects on eye health, inclusive economic empowerment and disability inclusion with a presence in 21 districts. We are in the process of expanding our team in Uganda and looking for a committed person to fill this role and be part of this growth.
The Disability Inclusion Advisory Unit Manager (DIAU Manager) will be responsible for supporting and enabling Light for the World to develop the role as expert organization on disability inclusion, with the Disability Inclusion Facilitator (DIF) Model as a key feature. Uganda will serve as a Hub to also support other focus countries to develop this role. The DIAU Manager is part of the Management Team and oversees and guides the work of the unit.
The DIAU Manager will report to and work under the guidance of the Country Director, directly manage the Disability Inclusion Advisors (DIAs) and Disability Inclusion Facilitators (DIFs) and work in close coordination with the other teams.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The DIAU Manager will focus on managing partnerships on disability inclusion in Uganda that will look at enhancing disability inclusive practices amongst NGOs, Government actors and private sector actors while ensuring compliance with Light for the World’s policies, donor requirements and national laws. S/he will also directly manage projects focusing on disability inclusion under her/his jurisdiction
- Maintaining existing partnerships on disability inclusion and actively identify opportunities for new partnerships.
- Quality control of the Disability Inclusion Facilitator (DIF) model, represent LFTW in meetings to share information about the DIF model and ensure other countries implement the model with quality and rigor.
- Manage and provide technical supervision to the DIA and DIF teams ensuring cross-project support and learning while maintaining regular checks so that they develop in line with their potential.
- Co-ordinate inclusion support amongst project teams by responding to technical requests
- Ensure development, follow-up and support of DIFs to implement their individual action plan and achieve their key performance indicators
- Ensure close linkages with disability structures in Uganda as well as beyond.
- Line management of the DIAU team and provision of supportive supervision to the DIAs in their support to the DIFs
- Manage and expand the portfolio of consultancies through identifying opportunities, developing narrative and financial proposals, manage contracting and ensure quality and timely deliverables.
- Ensure administrative, financial management and operational implementation of project (s) under your jurisdiction
- Master’s degree in development studies, International Development, Sociology, disability, Social Sciences, Programme Management or related field.
- Minimum of five years’ project management experience in a similar INGO or recognized NGO role which explicitly involved donor-funded projects.
- Excellent people skills with experience in collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team
- Knowledge and at least 5 years ‘experience of disability inclusion and/or working with organizations of persons with disabilities
- Experience in partnership management, including government liaisons.
- Proven effectiveness in leading and coaching professionals.
- Professional intensive experience and hands-on knowledge on broader capacity building, with excellent facilitation skills.
- Innovative and strategic thinker always ready to adapt and learn.
- Technology savvy with proficiency in the use of MS Office software packages.
- High levels of integrity, accountability, and honesty.
- Commitment to Light for the World’s mandate and values.
What we can offer as an employer:
We offer an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile, and a dedicated team.
Entry date: May 1, 2022
We are looking forward to receiving your application by March 25, 2022 at the latest. Please apply using https://lftw.hrmagic.co/careers. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities and women to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.