The ITH programme will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation in partnership with In their Hands
Company (ITH CO), and Triggers Limited who will together provide comprehensive sexual and
reproductive health services to adolescent girls (15-19) in Kampala and Arua, through immersive
engagement with girls and their communities as well as through a user-centric digital platform (ITH
platform for a period of 12 months. AKF seeks a highly experienced and professional accounts assistant
who will be based in Kampala and will work with a team for a period of 11 months starting May 2021
and ending March 2022. The accounts officer will support the project team planning for and tracking
expenditure, timely accountability, and compliance with external and internal budgeting and procurement
manuals and requirements, supporting a requisite burn rate, and flag any related risks. The accounts officer
will perform the following roles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure compliance with organizational financial policies and procedures as well as
statutory financial requirements.
• Prepare timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial project reports.
• Monitor and manage activity advance requests including timely review and liquidation of
• Develop and maintain a procurement and expenditure schedule and tracking tool aligned with the
various work plans of the project.
• Track and monitor payment schedules and ensure timely payment.
• Participate in project activities and document any expenditure.
• Review any payments and advise on required adjustments.
• Prepare monthly expenditure reports and verify them with all relevant project staff.
• Flag any risks, fraud, and incomplete financial accountability from all project staff.
• Support the program team in the management of activity advances including participant’s verification
and carrying out facilitation payments at activity sites.
• Pre-review /check activity advance requests, accountabilities, and reports, staff claims, and
accountabilities for activity advance.
• Check timesheets for project staff to ensure staff have correctly recorded their time and allocated
• Liaise with the country finance manager, senior accountant, to ensure timely processing of payments.
Required Skills & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, accounting, finance, project management (Finance
• At least three (3) years of accounting experience.
• Ability to use own initiative and actively look for opportunities to address any bottlenecks
concerning project expenditure.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software
• Ability to work under pressure and efficiently handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team; and
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Willingness to be based in the field, traveling to remote locations is a must.
• Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage.